Around 12 years ago, a guy called Patrick thought we should have an art prize for up and coming Tasmanian artists. Patrick had a quiet word with David. David offered $8,000, and the Mona Scholarship was born. Someone else called Jim ran the show for a while. After a couple of years the prize was upped to $12,500, and Lindy got involved. As of 2012, Mona has given 14 artists $175,000.
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS
Emerging Tasmanian artists apply to Mona for the $12,500 prize. The money is used to buy materials and equipment for an exhibition at Mona 12 months after receiving the Scholarship. The exhibition is held at the Mona Library Gallery, and Mona selects one piece for their permanent collection. The remainder of the works can be sold to the public, with the artist keeping the profit.
Alternating images from:
'The Three Ages of Woman' by Sonia Heap.
Images © Peter White
'A Composition of Ideas: Reflective Space for the Player Piano' by Cath Robinson.
Images © Peter Angus Robinson
2010 Scholarship Winners.
Application forms for the 2013 Scholarship will be available here from June 24, and will close on Friday August 23.
2012 winner Pip Stafford will exhibit at the Mona Library Gallery from Friday September 27 until October 19 2013, and the 2013 winner will be announced at the opening of her exhibition on Thursday September 26, from 6-8pm.
Send the stuff below to the address below:
1. The completed and signed entry form (available in 2013).
2. A proposal - what you would do with the Scholarship money (less than 300 words). Being original is a good idea. Radical is also good. Crazy is not so good.
3. A Curriculum Vitae - what is your background, what kind of experience have you had? (Keep this short - no autobiographies).
4. Six recent examples of your work, preferably on CD or DVD.
However, photocopies are fine.
Don't send original works, there are no returns.
5. We don't accept late applications.
6. We don't accept emailed applications.
7. The winner for 2013 will be announced at Pip Stafford's opening exhibition. All applicants are welcome to attend. An email will be sent, in the days following the opening, advising applicants of the winner.
For more information contact:
Applications can be posted or delivered by hand to Mona at the following addresses:
The Mona Scholarship
655 Main Road
Front counter, Museum of Old and New Art:
Front counter, Ether Building:
Front counter, Accounts Department:
655 Main Road, Berriedale, Tasmania 7011
1. THERE IS NO CASH. The money is for making art - equipment, materials, framing, etc. (what you buy will be relative to the style of art you make)
2. If you're a full time under-grad or post-grad student, sorry, you can't apply
3. We don't cover any classes, courses or study
4. We don't cover travel
5. We don't supply credit cards
6. You need to tell us about any awards, bursaries, prizes, allowances, residencies, scholarships, study or travel you will be taking in 2013 - 2014
7. You should have lived in Tasmania for at least 12 months before applying. If you win, your permanent residential address must be in Tasmania for the following 12 months
8. You may live interstate, but consider yourself Tasmanian. That's nice, but you can't apply
9. If you have a relationship with a commercial gallery, tell them that you're applying for the Scholarship BEFORE you apply
10. One piece from the exhibition will be selected for Mona's permanent collection
11. You should be available for quarterly reviews if you win
12. You'll be advised by email if you win
13. The Judge's decision is final. No feedback can be given on individual applications
MONA SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS 2001- 2012
2001: PHAEDRA BROTHERS - Painter
2002: ANDREW EVANS - Sculptor
2003: KATHRYN FALUDI BALL - Photographer
2004: PHILIP MCKAY - Painter
2005: ALAN YOUNG - Painter
2007: REBECCA COOTE - Sculptor, glass
2007: ROB O'CONNOR - Painter
2008: ALICIA KING - Bio-artist
2008: JAMES NEWITT - Time Based Media
2009: SARA WRIGHT - Ceramicist
2009: JUDITH ABELL - Sculptor
2010: CATH ROBINSON - Installation/Sound artist
2010: SONIA HEAP - Installation artist working in dress
2011: ALYSSA SIMONE - Digital Media
2012: PIP STAFFORD - Media artist