Around 12 years ago, a guy called Patrick thought we should have an art prize for up and coming Tasmanian artists. Patrick had a quiet word with David. David offered $8,000, and the Mona Scholarship was born. Someone else called Jim ran the show for a while. After a couple of years the prize was upped to $12,500, then $15,000, and Lindy got involved. As of 2012, Mona has given 14 artists $175,000.
HERE'S HOW IT WORKS
The Mona scholarship is changing. We will announce the changes in October 2015.
Alternating images from:
'The Three Ages of Woman' by Sonia Heap.
Images © Peter White
'A Composition of Ideas: Reflective Space for the Player Piano' by Cath Robinson.
Images © Peter Angus Robinson
2010 Scholarship Winners.
For more information contact:
1. There is no cash. The money is for making art - equipment, materials, framing, etc. (what you buy will be relative to the style of art you make).
2. If you're a full time under-grad or post-grad student, sorry, you can't apply.
3. We don't cover any classes, courses or study.
4. We don't cover travel.
5. We don't supply credit cards.
6. You need to tell us about any awards, bursaries, prizes, allowances, residencies, scholarships, study or travel you will be taking.
7. You should have lived in Tasmania for at least 12 months before applying. If you win, your permanent residential address must be in Tasmania for the following 12 months.
8. You may live interstate, but consider yourself Tasmanian. That's nice, but you can't apply.
9. If you have a relationship with a commercial gallery, tell them that you're applying for the Scholarship BEFORE you apply.
10. One piece from the exhibition will be selected for Mona's permanent collection.
11. You should be available for quarterly reviews if you win.
12. You'll be advised by email if you win.
13. The Judge's decision is final. No feedback can be given on individual applications.
MONA SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS 2001- 2014
2001: PHAEDRA BROTHERS - Painter
2002: ANDREW EVANS - Sculptor
2003: KATHRYN FALUDI BALL - Photographer
2004: PHILIP MCKAY - Painter
2005: ALAN YOUNG - Painter
2007: REBECCA COOTE - Sculptor, glass
2007: ROB O'CONNOR - Painter
2008: ALICIA KING - Bio-artist
2008: JAMES NEWITT - Time-based media
2009: SARA WRIGHT - Ceramicist
2009: JUDITH ABELL - Sculptor
2010: CATH ROBINSON - Installation/sound artist
2010: SONIA HEAP - Installation artist working in dress
2011: ALYSSA SIMONE - Digital media
2012: PIP STAFFORD - Media artist
2013: RAHNI ALLAN - Multimedia artist
2014: LIAM JAMES - Photographic artist